Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Helping with ipod support

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 15:59 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 02:29:09PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
<snip>
> > > [2] : Oh, and gnome-vfs gives you a nice logo for your portable music
> > > player (if HAL has tagged the device as one), but that is, so far,
> > > just eyecandy :-).
> >
> > Rhythmbox doesn't do the automounting, even with the HAL code, it's not
> > its job... We only use HAL to tell us if it's mounted, and where it's
> > mounted.
> >

> Oh, I see, well I still haven't looked at the code. Tell me, why is it
> that Rhythmbox shouldn't mount the volume if the user wants to use it?
>
> Note, that this is not exactly automounting, it's mount-on-demand, not
> much different from mounting the drive from computer:///, and it makes
> sense to me, given that one specific goal is to be able to run GNOME
> and the Utopia stack without automounting and autodetection of media
> (polling) on the grounds that it may cause system instability. See
> GNOME bug 143888 for details.
>
> To me, it just seems strange that the user needs to go to computer:///
> and mount the volume from there before going to Rhythmbox. Lots of
> users wouldn't be able to figure that out. Anyway, just my two danish
> kroner :-)

Well, either it's automounted, or it's not.
If the user wants to do it manually, they have to face the
consequences ;)
If the iPod code is enabled, the iPod icon only shows if the iPod is
connected and mounted, at no other time is it shown.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like
underpants in a tumble dryer.