Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Helping with ipod support

Hi,

> However, and this is my point, I can't see how the HAL integration in
> gnome-vfs will help, all that code does is just another way of
> querying what volumes you have on your system - and gnome-vfs doesn't
> automount and the user may not run an automounting daemon, so
> rhythmbox will probably still need to mount(1) the volume. [2]

Currently, a big part of the Rhythmbox HAL code is there to detect when
something is plugged/unplugged, and then it checks whether the device
which was plugged is mounted and if it's an iPod. I think it's cleaner
to use the mounted/unmounted signals from GnomeVFSVolumeMonitor, and
then use the gnome-vfs HAL code to get the device UDI. This leaves us
with the function which uses HAL to check if the device is an iPod in
Rhythmbox.
And I agree with Bastien when he says it's not Rhythmbox's job to mount
the volume.

Christophe