[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: Syncing the RhythmDB on every update

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 04:26:06PM +0100, in7y118@public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> Yeah, it would also be a nice option if the frontend could be completely
> abstracted to allow to build against Qt or Win32 frontends.
> Another nice option would be a complete abstraction of the UI so I could have
> a UI like Winamp for example (implemented by the given frontend of course).

Trying to design an SQLite backend into it, I'd say that would be nice
simply for the reason that it would be the right thing to do.  As it is
currently, expensive database operations are moved out of the main
thread into their own threads.

This poses a difficulty for SQLite as the handles can't be be used in
multiple threads at once, each thread needs its own handle.  Some
complications arise from that.  The real problem is the design, what
should have been done is to move the whole GUI out into its own thread
rather than selectively moving many work related functions out, which is
a lot less clean.

Implementing proper signal handling would be much easier, too. ;-)

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    GPG key 0x04880A44