[Rhythmbox-devel] Re: proper shutdown on ctrl-c and other stuff

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 09:44:14PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 19:29, Andreas Bombe wrote:
>
> > a) signal() is ANSI-C and b) if the user starts it from the command line
> > they may expect a CTRL-C to shut it down cleanly (I certainly did).
> > Also a "kill $pid" should result in clean shutdown.
>
> It would be nice, I agree.  I just don't want to create two or three
> problems in an attempt to solve one.
>
> And again I think it's worth emphasizing that this behavior isn't
> specific to Rhythmbox, so solving it just here doesn't make sense.

Well, we /could/ make it ignore those signals and printf a message to
the user that he should use the other means to shut down or just kill -9
it. ;-)

> Probably the thing you're really complaining about is that Rhythmbox
> doesn't periodically save its state, so if it gets killed or crashes
> then you lose everything up till when you started it.

Very much so.  Having the DB save is probably the most important part of
shutdown.  I just wanted to fix possible _other_ shutdown code to be run
after making the DB save on the fly.  (See other thread.)

> > I don't know - nicer-looking indentation?  The tabs are set at 8 spaces,
> > right?  There should be no problem doing it the way Emacs does it by
> > default (tabs as far as possible then fill with spaces).
> >
> > The mixed tabs/spaces I referred to were spaces followed by tabs in the
> > same line.
>
> Ick.  Where is code that does that?

Sprinkled here and there, likely the after effects of manually indenting
text.  If I have to pick out one example, shell/rb-shell.c lines 1138 to
1149.  As I said, Emacs with enabled develock mode (found in the Debian
package develock-el) makes for a quite colorful display.

--
Andreas Bombe <bombe@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>    GPG key 0x04880A44