Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] column resizing weirdness

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 09:32, John Russell wrote:
> I am using RB 0.65.  My question has to do with the resizing of
> columns.  When I mouse over the border between two column headers in the
> track list and drag to one side.... I have trouble even describing what
> happens its so weird.  I drag the border between artist and album toward
> artist and title and genre both resize larger?  What gives?

It's a consequence of the hacked up GtkTreeView subclass we're using.
The nice thing about it is that it constrains all the columns to fit in
the available width, so there's never a horizontal scrollbar.

The behavior you see is a side effect of how it tries to allocate width
for the columns evenly.  I don't think it's going to be easy to fix, if
it's really possible at all.

> If so,
> why do other apps seem to behave ok in this regard (e.g. nautilus).

Nautilus has it a bit easier because it only has one arbitrarily-sized
column (the file name).  Rhythmbox has four: title, genre, artist, and
album.

By the way, if you want to see what Rhythmbox would be like without this
hack, just open up widgets/rb-entry-view.c, search for the line that
reads:
	view->priv->treeview = GTK_WIDGET (rb_tree_view_new ());
and change that to:
	view->priv->treeview = GTK_WIDGET (gtk_tree_view_new ());

This is a digitally signed message part