[Rhythmbox-devel] Rhythmbox 0.7.0: "My, your music looks tasty..."

Hi,

I'm very happy to announce the first release in the Rhythmbox
development series.  Rhythmbox will start using a versioning scheme
similar to GNOME and Linux, where odd-numbered releases are development,
and even are stable.

So again, this is a *development* release.

The name for this release was carefully selected to simultaneously
frighten and intrigue you.  This release is unlikely to actually eat
your music, but since completed tag writing will likely appear in the
0.7.x series (but not this release), we wanted to prepare you for this
possibility.

There are a lot of important changes in this release.  First, if you use
the GStreamer player, then you need at least GStreamer 0.7.4.  The great
thing about GStreamer 0.7.4 is that it includes a metadata framework
now, and Rhythmbox takes advantage of that.  The bottom line now is that
Rhythmbox doesn't depend on libid3tag, libflac, etc., anymore.  In fact,
with GStreamer, there is now no media-specific code in Rhythmbox.  If
you have a GStreamer plugin, you can both play back that format and load
it into your library, and you don't even need to recompile Rhythmbox.

This feature needs a lot of testing.  I know a lot of people out there
have all sorts of funky mp3s, and what we really need is for you to try
But Rhythmbox can definitely load at least my music flawlessly.
Everyone should thank Benjamin Otte for this awesome work on GStreamer.

And there's a ton of other cool features for you to try:

Overview of Changes in Rhythmbox 0.7.0: "My, your music looks tasty..."
======================================

* Support for GStreamer-based metadata [Colin Walters]
* Initial tag editing work [Colin Walters]
* Adaptive ratings [Michael Terry]
* ReplayGain support [Jeremy SIMON]
* Create automatic playlists via drag and drop from browsers [Jonatan Magnusson]
* Editing of automatic playlists [Colin Walters]
* Song info dialog cleanups [Colin Walters]
* Implement "Browse this genre/artist/album" context menu [Colin Walters]
* Allow reordering playlists via DND [Colin Walters]
* Automatically scroll view while dragging [Yann Rouillard]
* Fix sorting by genre [Colin Walters]
* Pause support for multimedia keys [Crispin Flowerday]
* Lots of playback order fixes and speedups [Jeffrey Yasskin]
* .m3u parsing fixes [Colin Walters]
* Some MacOS X work [Jeffrey Yasskin]
* Fix time display with partial days [James Kahn]
* Use new GtkFileChooser if available [Sriram Ramkrishna]
* Internet radio buffering progress now uses bottom progress bar [Colin Walters]
* Correctly remember state for Import Folder dialog [Colin Walters]
* Lots more error checking for playback [Colin Walters]
* Update INTERNALS documentation [Colin Walters]
* New "equals" criteria for automatic playlists [Colin Walters]
* New default iradio station list [Colin Walters, Jeffrey Yasskin, Joseph Wilhelm]
* Default CFLAGS warning bits stolen from gnome-keyring [Colin Walters]
* Configuration/build fixes [Juilo M. Merino Vidal]
* More C89 fixes [Scott Wheeler]
* General code cleanup [Colin Walters, Christophe Fergeau, Jeffrey Yasskin]
* Misc bugfixes [Colin Walters, Christophe Fergeau, Jefferey Yasskin]

New translations in Rhythmbox 0.7.0:

lt (Žygimantas Beručka)
mn (Sanlig Badral)
ga (Paul Duffy)
ar (Arafat Medini)

Updated translations in Rhythmbox 0.7.0:

fi (Ilkka Tuohela)
cs (Miloslav Trmac)
de (Christian Neumair)
az (Mətin Əmirov)
no (Kjartan Maraas)
ko (Young-Ho Cha, Changwoo Ryu)
es (Francisco Javier F. Serrador)
pl (GNOME PL Team)
sr, sr@Latn (Danilo Šegan)
nl (Kees van den Broek)
el (Kostas Papadimas)
pt (Duarte Loreto)
ja (Takeshi AIHANA)
cy (Telsa Gwynne)

Downloads should be available here once the mirrors finish syncing:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/rhythmbox/0.7/

Bug reports and feedback are appreciated!

This is a digitally signed message part