Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] use automake-1.8 if available

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 18:42 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 18:26, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > Heya,
> > >
> > > I'd like to be able to compile RB with automake 1.8, so here's a patch.
> > > It seems it doesn't work completely just, but as I don't have a 1.7
> > > available, it should still try and use 1.8...
> >
> > We still use xmldocs.mak and something else that both use mkinstalldirs,
> > which isn't installed by default with automake-1.8. So the build will
> > break, and we can't use this now (which is why I commented it out in
> > autogen.sh).  A patch to fix those problems would be appreciated :)
>
> Hence the patch which prefers automake-1.7 if it's installed, and falls
> back on automake-1.8. If developers with automake-1.8 can't see the
> bugs, what's the point? :)

The build only works if you had previously used automake-1.7 and there's a
leftover mkinstalldirs lying around. With a default checkout and a default
automake it doesn't work. So it seems clever to me to disable it.
FWIW this problem is affecting a lot of modules (GStreamer + plugins,
gnome-media, basically anything that uses gettext). So this looks like it
requires fixes upstream. (Or someone providing a flag to automake to build
mkinstalldirs?)
Especially because the second part that breaks is po/Makefile and that
file is autogenerated from I don't know what tool.

It sounds stupid to me though to enable it by default if it doesn't work.
That'll just result in useless bug reports on this list.

Benjamin,
who reenabled automake-1.8, too, but only locally.