[Rhythmbox-devel] osscommon: Unable to open /dev/dsp (in use?)

I got this error when I ran rhythmbox for the first time after
installing it on a PC on which I have been building a gentoo system.  I
have a 2.4.25 kernel, and I'm using ALSA rather than OSS.  There is a
wrapper that you install to allow OSS apps to run, and I have that. I
got around the problem by disabling KDE system sounds. (I am running KDE
3.2.1). You could argue that this actually improved the system, of
course,  Is this a problem related to KDE, ALSA or rhythmbox itself, I
wonder?  Will it go away if and when rhythmbox, (or possibly gstreamer?)
switch to ALSA.  What if I upgraded to a 2.6 kernel?

The folks at gentoo are running a bit behind in building packages - I
was only able to install rhythmbox 0.6.1 via Portage.  In general I am
very impressed with the gentoo system so far - even if it did take 7
hours to download and compile KDE the other day!