Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Some suggestions

On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 16:28, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:
> I am watching the rewrite of the database back-end (from a safe
> distance) with much anticipation.  I've fallen hard for Rhythmbox
> and have ripped a lot of my CDs into .ogg format.  Soon after
> exceeding 2000 songs responsiveness started suffering and at 3500
> songs life has become quite painful (Pentium III 750MHz laptop,
> accessing songs via IEEE 802.11).  I'll beat on the new database
> code as soon as it hits CVS (or arch, if I can figure that out).
>
> As I've played with Rhythmbox, a small wish-list has been forming.
>
>  1) It would be nice to be able to queue up songs without
>     having to build a play-list.  Drag songs into the queue
>     where they wait their turn.  Once played they simply fall
>     off the queue.  Great for parties where everyone is a DJ.
>     Perhaps the vertical "Source" area could be tabbed with
>     "Queue" area in another tab.

I really like this idea.  I'm not sure how best to accomplish this from
a UI perspective, but I would like having this feature.  It would also
make it easier to play a single song without it RB automatically going
on to the next song in the playlist/library.

>  3) The incremental search feature, although nice and natural
>     for an Emacs user, can be a pain when the library has
>     reached a certain size.  The erasing of a typo in the
>     search field can send Rhythmbox into a thrashing mode.
>     Perhaps incremental search mode could be supplemented
>     with an optional "type text and hit return" mode.

If I understand Colin's design, once it is implemented the UI should
remain perfectly responsive even when the database is chugging away at a
query.

Josh