Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Re: [gst-devel] Re: 0.8 in 2.6 ?

hi!

El vie, 10-10-2003 a las 10:41, Joshua Haberman escribió:
> On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 00:44, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > you can look, but not copy.  Ie, figure out the one missing bit you
> > don't have, then write it from memory.
>
> It is not nearly that simple.  If you want to see the kind of analysis
> that goes into deciding whether a program is infringing, I would
> recommend reading the lengthy Computer Associates v. Altai opinion:
>
> http://www.bitlaw.com/source/cases/copyright/altai.html
>
> If by "write it from memory" you mean "reproduce the part you need
> verbatim, but from memory" then that is certainly inadequate.  The
> mechanics of how you copy (copy/paste vs. memorize/recall) are
> immaterial to whether infringement has occurred.
>
> Probably a better approach to the situation is to ask whoever wrote
> alsamixer if they have any problem with it being used as a model for an
> LGPL mixer.

Or one person can read the amixer code and then answer the questions
that the GStreamer mixer developer could have.

I think that is is called a "clean implementation" or something like
that. One person take the knowledge from the code, transform it in a
document or something like that and then other person can take that
document to implement a new version without not following the laws ;-)

Ups, I love the GPL ... this is something the "enemy" could use against
it ;-)

Cheers

> Josh
>
> > Thomas

> > > That code is likely GPL, and we (or: I) want a LGPL mixer (there's some
> > > legal reasons for this).
> > >
> > > Ronald
> >
> > Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
> > <-*- thomas (dot) apestaart (dot) org -*->
> > Baby you cry too much I'm tired of the sound
> > You're such a baby
> > <-*- thomas (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->
> > URGent, best radio on the net - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.rug.ac.be/

Esta parte del mensaje =?ISO-8859-1?Q?est=E1?= firmadadigitalmente