Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmdb post-mortem and future

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 14:22, Colin Walters wrote:
> Really, the whole thing is just too complicated (you may have guessed I
> was leading up to this).  Let's take a step back here.
> Why run the query in a separate thread?  The only advantage here really
> is that you'll get a speedup on SMP systems.  But how much of one?  I
> was looking at some profiles, and the time spent in the query thread was
> almost invisible.  All the real work is pretty much done in the main
> thread anyways, like inserting into data structures and redrawing the
> treeview.
>
> [...]
>
> So I want to vastly shrink RhythmDB's use of threads.  I now envison
> just 2 threads (apart from GStreamer).  The first is the main GTK+
> thread.  The second is a thread that just does filesystem work - it will
> read metadata from files, watch directories for changes, recursively
> read directories, and the like.  Both threads have GAsyncQueues where
> they receive updates from the other thread.

I have the utmost respect for your work, so don't take this as a jab of
any kind.  But I can't help but point out that this is exactly what I
advocated when you were designing RhythmDB:

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2003-September/msg00061.html
http://lists.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2003-September/msg00074.html

Josh