Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmdb post-mortem and future

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 17:45, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> I think Jamboreee has shown that multithreading isn't really needed.

Well, mostly.  I still want to use threads for filesystem stuff because
that can potentially be slow, and I hate the idea of the UI blocking.
Like, someone could be reading their music through NFS over IPSec over
802.11b, as I have in the past...not the fastest thing in the world :)

Plus threads are a good abstraction for this kind of thing, where you
can have system calls that block.

So what I'm saying really is there's a happy medium here, and I think
just two threads is it.

> That sounds good, but remember that the overhead in monitoring a huge
> number of files is not in fam (which monitors the directory above) but
> in gnome-vfs.

Yeah...we'll make teuf fix it :)

This is a digitally signed message part