Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] yet another new mockup (meta)

tis 2003-05-13 klockan 17.01 skrev MArk Finlay:
> I've made up a mockup to address some of these points and other things
> that bothered me. Don't forget "Less is more". Good Ui design is about
> removing things not adding them ;)
>
> > Volume has nothing to do with play/prev/next and therefore shouldn't be
> > grouped with those buttons. Besides that volume is a preference.
>
> I agree to an extent but refuse to put it on the status bar cus that's
> just horrible. It may not be perfect but it's current position is the
> best i think.
>
> > Show/Hide browser is a preference too and has nothing to do in the middle
> > of my window. I'm managing songs in that region of the window, not
> > appearance.
>
> Agreed - I was thinking about it and some poeple like the browser and
> some don't but it's not something that the majority of people are going
> to want to toggle regularily so should be left as a preference in the
> view menu. And if there is some small amount of users who want to toggle
> it regularly then they can use the key binding.
>
> Removed in my mockup

Well, like I said many times this is something I use all the time(show
browser,c hoose album, hide browser). If I'm just playing an album I
dont want to see the browser, I just want to have a tiny album view on
my desktop. So the expander arrow is ideal for that imho.

> > And the slider isn't long enough.
>
> Count yourself lucky it's there at all. Also it's very easy to be
> accurate with it using the keyboard.
>
> Also I've removed the meta-button. Thinking about it:
> * It's confusing without text but text is going to be extrememly
> impossible when trying to translate it.
> * Create Playlist and Create smart playlist should be avaliable
> from all sources as it is a function related to the source browser and
> that is always visable.
> * Burn should work in both the library and playlist
> * No reason why you should have to be looking at the audio cd source
> to rip it.
> All in all I think that using a meta-button is going to be problematical
> and inflexible.

yay :)

> I've moved the search back up to the toolbar. I really don't like having
> that area at the top of the library browser. I think it really takes
> away from the overall symetry of the program and it confuses the
> toolbar.
>
> I really don't think that anyone is going to be confused by having the
> search on the toolbar.

Probably not, but some sources wont need it. Also I think if we have the
expander arrow it fits much mroe nicely next to that.

> The only issue remaining is those checkboxes. Some poeple really don't
> like them. I'm not too bothered by them but would be interested if
> anyone has a better idea that doesn't clutter the toolbar. Personally I
> wouldn't mind having them removed totally as i never use them - just
> leave them on all the time.

Shuffle on all the time? Heh.. no way.. sorry ;) But at leats shuffle
should be in the main UI imho.. you should jsut be able to see in a
glace whether it's in shuffle mode or not.