Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] A Christmas wish-list

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Gisli Ottarsson wrote:

> 3) What is the deal with the local volume control?  Am I missing
> something?  Last night I wanted to turn the volume up the max. I
> had to raise the volume in three places, in RB, in PCM and the
> master volume.  Is this a gstreamer thing?  Could the volume
> control on RB be wired to PCM or Master.  If there are aspirations
> to play CDs it should probably be the Master volume.

Local volume should be controlled in an app. Master volume should be
controlled by the system. (Needing to use master vs PCM is a bug
obiously).
The reason for this is that you might have different applications use
different volume levels. Imagine talking to someone via GnomeMeeting
or play a game while listening to Rhythmbox in the background. In that
case you'd have to change Rb's volume only and not just the master volume.

Benjamin