Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] Rendezvous Streaming?

Hey,

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 02:35, Eli Gwynn wrote:
> I also got really interested in this and brought it up with Colin in
> #rhythmbox about a month ago. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be
> to get the stuff going, but I'll give you a brief summary of what I
> learned...
>
> iTunes uses DAAP over Rendezvous to do its music streaming stuff. Check
> out OpenDAAP.org and check out the sites linked off it.

Well, I found:
http://www.deleet.de/projekte/daap/daapd/
http://www.deleet.de/projekte/daap/
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030711140157143
http://daap.sourceforge.net/

(That should be enough for a start).

> DAAP was supposedly going to be made open by Apple, but I think they got
> spooked by the RIAA and decided not to release the spec. Additionally,
> after iTunes 4.1 (Or somewhere around there) the spec was changed around
> a bit and most of the open-sourced implementations were broken (in the
> same way that iTunes 4.0.x was broken with respect to iTunes 4.1).
> Examples include JTunes, iLeech, and iSlurp. I've spoken with Chris
> Boot, head of libdaap (daap.sf.net), about re-compliance and he said he
> would be interested in starting stuff up again.

I don't think it would be much of a problem for us. If we can't actually
get interaction with iTunes, at least we'd get interaction with other
installations of Rhythmbox, which is already a start.

> Rendezvous wouldn't be hard to put into RB at all with the right amount
> of effort. It's open and there are working Rendezvous implementations
> for linux for you to look at.

gmdns in GNOME CVS is one example of the client and server side APIs.
The sources from Apple for the mDNS itself work on Linux with a bit of
work:
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/rendezvous/

> Best of luck. This would definitely be a -very- kickass feature for RB.
> Get the protocol working and I'll gladly help out with this concept.

I agree that it would be a worthwile addition to the current featureset.

Cheers

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net>
John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had
also never met.