Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] dashboard integration

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 18:36, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> > The patch for rhythmbox (Against 0.6.1) is here:
> > http://www.leewillis.co.uk/dashboard/rhythmbox.patch
> >
> > Could this go into rhythmbox mainstream?
>
> I quickly looked at your patch, and if it seems you are sending clue
> packets on song changes.

That was the plan yes, however on further inspection today, it seems as
though they also get sent when you pause the song - I'll try and resolve
that today ...

> If I'm not mistaken about what the patch does,
> it could probably easily use the bonobo interface which can notify other
> processes when the song changes. Thus even if the patch isn't accepted,
> it should be possible to rework it as a standalone listener.

Probably - although it seems a little overkill to me to have a whole
separate process to simply pass on four strings :)

I appreciate that the patch seems like a lot of code, however the
dashboard-frontend.c code which constructs the cluepacket is exactly the
same as required for the epiphany integration, and I imagine[1] that ths
will go away over time, either into it's own shared library, or by
taking advantage of a standard IPC mechanism, so you should be left with
just the changes to rb-shell-player.c

Lee
[1] I havent' actually confirmed that, but I seem to remember reading
somewhere that the dashboard chaps were looking for an alternative to
the current custom IPC
--
Lee Willis                                lee@leewillis.co.uk