Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] [patch] add icon to nautilus context menu

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 09:13, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 11:27, in7y118@public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> > Quoting Luis Villa <louie@ximian.com>:
> >
> > > That string (at least in English) is terribly long and a little awkward-
> > > should it be 'add to music library' instead?
> > >
> > /me doesn't mention that the HIG sucks in some regards and "add to Rhythmbox"
> > would be much shorter and 100% understandable to everyone who knows what
> > Rhythmbox is. And anybody who doesn'T know this probably doesn't want to add it
> > to Rhythmbox anyway.
>
> I hate to beat a dead horse here, but wrong, wrong, _wrong_ thinking. My
> mother has no clue what RB is. My brother (who is fairly computer
> skilled, but not with Linux) has no idea what rhythmbox is. Why should
> they need to learn/know what rhythmbox is just to add something to it?
> The real kicker is that they both use iTunes all the time- so they would
> definitely want rhythmbox on linux, even if they didn't know what it
> was. Why should they need to learn a fancy brand name to play their
> music?
>
> Anyway, I hate to get snappy about this, but... we've got a /huge/
> advantage over the proprietary OSes because we don't have to name things
> in weird 'brand' ways to get them known. Let's use that advantage to
> make our systems more usable than they can.
>
> Luis
I think that "Add to Music Library" sounds best for the Nautilus
plugin.  This is short enough that it won't make the popup menu ugly,
and it tells the user what it actually does.  And if you happen to have
another Music Library app (why would you - Rhythmbox is all you need!)
the icon will differentiate them.

As for places like the panel menu, I've always like "Rhythmbox Music
Player" because I might have more than one Music Player (gst-player,
zinf, xmms).  Same goes for web browsers "Galeon Web Browser" and
"Epiphany Web Browser".  For those of us with both of them installed, we
can differentiate them (sorry, but the icons are too similar) but people
who don't know what Epiphany and Galeon are will know where to click to
get on the Web. But, I digress.

--
Mason Kidd
<mason.kidd@mrkidd.com>