Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] discussion question

Instead of replying to every post one by one, I'll do it in a batch. So here it
goes...

You might want to collect similar names into the same group. You'll get quite a
bit of problems when defining "similar" though. Do you just use strings that
are the same? Do you only do uppercase/lowercase? Is "R.E.M." similar to "REM"?
Is "Britney Spears" the same as "Spears, Britney" or even "Spears Britney"?
I spent quite some time on reading about/implementing fuzzy matching
algorithms, I even sent one to this list once.
The biggest problem with this is that this has to be i18n-safe. So all your
optimizations must work for people in China or whatever, too. And they probably
think different about some English-specific optimizations. And I waouldn't want
to get into doing language-specific stuff.
What I did however was rely on using Unicode-spcific character information to
simplify a name by stripping/changing characters. This allows for example to
remove signs ("R.E.M." => "REM") or make everything uppercase (when there is a
corresponding uppercase character - German "ß" doesn't have one). The advantage
is that all of this works within glib, so you don't have to put information
into the algorithms.
So my advice would be: Use the most sophisticated algorithms that are possible
with the information you get, but don't put more information into the lib. So
leave out rules for pattern matching (like "$X and $Y" == "$X & $Y" or "$Y, $X"
== "$X $Y"). And be sure to use stuff that's not language-specific.

You get very very far with that. All my searches worked satisfactory, even when
I wrote stuff as wrong as I could imagine.

Benjamin