Re: [Rhythmbox-devel] rhythmbox interface

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 19:28, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> Il ven, 2002-11-22 alle 16:14, Jorn Baayen ha scritto:
> > On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 16:07, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 20:00, Jorn Baayen wrote:
> > > <snip>
> > >
> > > iTunes uses the order of the view to play songs. So if a tree is sorted
> > > by name, it will play them in that order. It's the good way to do it,
> > > IMO.
> >
> > Yeah, we do that too now. But if you're not playing from a playlist, you
> > cannot specify which song to play next (unless it's the next track in
> > the album, obviously :P ). This is the problem.
> Mmmhhhhmmmhhhh this is the righ way.
>
> If I'm playing from current layout library (shuffle disabled), select
> next song isn't a good feature. Next song is the next in list following
> ordering criteria.
>
> IMHO "next play" isn't a good feature: when I want to play a song I
> search it and play it. But if we want add a "next play" feature, or
> whatever, lib isn't the right place.
>
> Adding a "next play" feature need a "current playlist" view, IMO, and
> this need to rethinking all interface, putting in main window only
> "current playlist" and a way to load song in it from music sources (HD
> [=lib or saved groups], CD, Internet Radios...), as in .glade file in my
> other mail.... but now I find it less intuitive and simple then actual
> interface :-)

Well, we definetely shouldnt need to make a playlist first before
playing. But I think we can make it work quite naturally, but we need to
think about it carefully.

For example, we could make the queue contain the same songs as the
currently shown view, but reorderable, sortable, and a way to really
shuffle them. That way you can 100% control playback order, and you can
still see and control what song is playing in the library view.

Cheers