Re: Doc team notifications of freeze breaks

On Fri, 2019-09-06 at 15:47 -0500, mcatanzaro gnome org wrote:
Hi,

Historically, our rules for freezes have required notifying
gnome-doc-list@ of any freeze breaks. This rule has not always been
followed (I'm a flagrant violator myself). Since nowadays
documentation
operates on a longer cadence (generally years rather than months), I
think it really doesn't make sense to have these notifications
anymore.
If there are any recent examples of a documentation change being
committed within the freeze window in response to a freeze break
notification, please let me know; otherwise, I don't think this
change
should be controversial.

I think this is a mistake. One of the reasons we have a release cycle
with freezes is to give the documentation team (and others) a chance to
get anything done. If people aren't notified of freeze breaks, then
there is very little point in having the freezes in the first place.

If sending notifications is too much of a burden for maintainers, then
perhaps the release team should notify interested parties. Or maybe we
need to rethink how we handle freeze breaks entirely. Perhaps we could
devise a GitLab-based solution where the right people are automatically
looped in.

--
Shaun