GNOME Shell freeze break request

I discovered this morning¹ that if you toggle mute/unmute in Shell
3.33.90 then your volume is not restored to what it was before - it's
left at 0. The reason is that Shell's volume slider responds to the
initial muting by setting itself to empty, but this also triggers the
slider's callback to update Pulseaudio with a level of 0.

(I also have noticed that when you log in to a new session then the
volume is set to 0 each time and this doesn't happen any more with this
patch, but I haven't proved that bug so this is more of an aside that
the effect might be greater than the mute/unmute case.)

We had a similar bug with the brightness slider, which Florian fixed by
blocking the signal handlers when updating the slider's value in
response to an external change (commit referenced in the below MR). The
fix here is the same -it's just that volume case was overlooked earlier.
It's already been pre-approved by Carlos (thanks).

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/merge_requests/703

This bug is kind of lame - I think it'd be good to fix for 3.34.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain orangesquash org uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney debian org ]

¹ But someone had already reported
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-shell/issues/1557