Re: Tracker (+miners) 2.1.x is the stable series for GNOME 3.30

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 5:05 AM, Carlos Garnacho <carlosg gnome org> wrote:
Hmm, I see 2 ways to make that happen:
- As usual, bump by 1 during unstable, bump by 1 for .0. The first
bump may make sense (depends on whether there's actual API additions,
tending to be scarce in Tracker), but the second bump would be rather
artificial as there'd be no API additions or substantial modifications
at the time.
- Bump to next even number directly, suffix versions by "-alpha.X" or
somesuch to convey they're pre-release. (we should probably do this
even if bumping by 1)

Reading point 7 in semver.org, of these two I find the second to fit
better as there's no minor bumps without actual changes involved, but
it's maybe a bit late for it now. If the R-T vastly prefers to avoid
the confusion, I have stuff in the queue I can rush this cycle to make
a 2.2 that'd make all of us happy for now.

Without speaking for the entire release team...

Either of those possibilities would be OK, but the first seems more natural to me. I'd see it as a modification of semantic versioning to conform to the expectations of our users and distributors.

Michael