How to handle release delay

Hi,

On IRC today, Javier and I agreed to delay the 3.27.90 release, since today was the tarball deadline and we didn't know how to generate tarballs using BuildStream. Now the question is, how to adjust the schedule to handle this? We have several options:

* Release 3.27.90 next week, after a one week delay, and 3.27.91 the week after, on schedule. But it seems excessive to have two development releases one week after the other. * Skip 3.27.90. Release 3.27.91 on schedule. This was Javier's proposal in IRC. Downside is that we go an extra week without a release; I think it's been more than long enough already since the last release. * Release 3.27.90 in two weeks (when 3.27.91 was scheduled) and skip 3.27.91. This is exactly the same as the second option, but I like the version numbers better. * Release 3.27.90 next week, and skip 3.27.91. We'd have 3.27.90 on February 14, 3.27.92 on February 28, and 3.28.0 on March 7.

All the options seem OK to me, and whatever we choose does not really matter very much, but I wanted to ask here first rather than unilaterally pick something myself. So please speak up if you have a preference. I've ordered them in reverse order of my own preference, so if nobody says anything I'll go with the last option.

Keep in mind that the last release was 3.27.3; we completely skipped 3.27.4, so it's already been almost two months since the last release. (Next time it would be better to ask for help, rather than skip a release entirely, but it's not a big deal, and anyway, maintainers understand this is going to be a much rougher cycle than usual for us.)

Cheers,

Michael