Re: Let's fix our NEWS files!

On Thu, Dec 22, 2016 at 07:12:03PM +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:
On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 11:40:14AM -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
The NEWS files we release [1] obviously use UTF-8 encoding, but when
it's displayed from a web browser the browser has no way to know that.
I think Firefox has some heuristic to guess the encoding, but we should
make it work in other browsers too. WebKit correctly treats our NEWS
files as ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) text for compatibility with old websites,
which results in people's names being messed up in our NEWS. It's been
broken forever, nothing new.

To fix it, we can either:

 * Specify the encoding in our HTTP headers. That would have to be done
on each mirror that hosts the NEWS, so can't really do that.
 * Specify the encoding in the document. We have to insert a zero-width
non-breaking space (U+FEFF) as the first character in the document. I
tested this just now and it works fine in WebKit.

Suggest another option:
 1. Prevent download.gnome.org from redirecting NEWS files
 2. Configure UTF-8 header

This as putting that special character in the text file seems rather
ugly.

Header was already set. Please try:
https://download.gnome.org/core/3.23/3.23.3/NEWS

--