Re: Freeze break exception for GNOME Software

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro gnome org> wrote:
On Mon, 2015-08-31 at 14:35 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> From what I've seen on irc today, Kalev would rather like to keep the
> dialog, and make it not do harmful things - which would be my
> preference as
> well, the dialog has other uses besides just letting you remove
> repositories, and it would be a shame to loose all of them just
> because
> this one once did the wrong thing.

To be clear, everyone wants to keep the dialog and make it not do
harmful things in the long run, but there is disagreement over whether
it's desirable to keep it in the short term, as we don't have an
immediate solution to the serious problems. I thought Kalev favored
temporary removal as well, but if he's changed his mind, then I'll
withdraw my freeze break request (but I respectfully disagree :).

Some of the other uses of the software sources dialog:
- Provides information about the configured sources
- Shows the installed applications for each source

A short-term solution that preserves these is to just drop the "Remove" functionality, while keeping the dialog. Kalev was looking at doing that, and at instead adding a way to disable or enable sources.