Re: New release processes

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:
Allan Day <aday gnome org> wrote:
Here's my attempt to summarise the processes that we discussed in
yesterday's meeting. I've had to fill in some gaps and make some
guesses. It's very much a draft.

I was hoping that we would push forward with these new processes for
3.16. Some of them will need further discussion - it would be great if
that could happen soon.

One thing I'm particularly keen to get started with soon is the "roadmap" part.

Right, so here is what I suggest we could do to avoid a repeat of the
feature proposal fiasko from last cycle:

Instead of clamoring for feature proposals on desktop-devel-list, we,
as the release team could go out and suggest waht we think would be
great features to work on for the next cycle. Could be stuff like:

1) The message tray / notification redesign

2) Make geary our preferred email client. This would probably require
 - goa integration
 - make sure it works with our other supported mail providers in goa

3) Integrate HighContrast theme in GTK+, like we did for Adwaita. This
requires solving the icon theme issue for gtk2

Of course, this still requires people to sign up and do the work...

 * Identify priority bugs at the start of the cycle. Allow people to
suggest their own bugs.
 * Advertise the initial bug list.
 * Track them over the course of the cycle, and communicate our progress.

Here are a few to seed the list:

- the 'evolution password dialog' issue
- the 'private message pits polari vs empathy' issue
- the 'alt-tab vs fullscreen' issue

If the RT is interested in trying this, I'd be happy to propose the
idea on d-d-l and see if I can get some buy-in.

I am, very much. Thanks for keeping up the pressure, Allan!