Re: Aligning 3.12 and the wayland schedule

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
Hey,

I've just had a chat with Kristian about the GNOME 3.12 and Wayland 1.5 schedules.

As you may or may not have seen, Wayland 1.4 was just released a few days ago. Since this release was cooking, the wayland api was frozen for a while, and a lot of the xdg-shell api that we need for 3.12 has been held up. These patches will be landing now, and make it into Wayland 1.5.

As Kristian told me, Wayland is switching to a 4 month release cycle going forward. That is a little unfortunate for us, since it puts the next stable release, 1.5, into May. There will however be an api-complete 1.4.91 release that is scheduled for April 1st. This is only one week after our target date for 3.12.0 (March 26), so I would suggest that we extend our schedule by a week or two, so that we can rely on the Wayland 1.4.91 release.

This will of course still leave us without a Wayland release to build against for all of our development cycle, which is not a great situation to be in. As a workaround for this, we've discussed including xdg-shell.xml in the gtk and mutter trees for the interim, so we can continue to build against Wayland 1.3 while using the new xdg-shell api that will become part of Wayland in 1.5.

Huh? xdg-shell.xml has always been in our tree, and I don't want to move it out into Wayland core for quite a while. It should remain in Weston, gtk+ and mutter for now.

Comments ? Alternative suggestions ?

Matthias

--
  Jasper