Re: QA Team

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 16:46 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
* UI automation tests will be done with dogtail

Out of curiosity, why dogtail and not e.g. LDTP? I assume there's more
expertise in our community and contributor base for dogtail?
Yes, we *suggest* dogtail as several upstream projects have tests in
dogtail and it is more focues on Gtk/Qt than LDTP. However we can also
use LDTP / autopilot-gtk  if they fit better, though I'd keep dogtail as
a default choice.

Who will write and maintain the tests for project XYZ? If it's the QA
team it needs to be closely integrated with the development team of
project XYZ (similar to user documentation team) to keep things
up-to-date and know when things changed intentionally: Who is supposed
to update the test if the UI has changed and the test obviously breaks?
I guess a better option would be having a person responsible for
automated tests in each project - be it a developer or a new volunteer.

I'm asking because I've seen projects like Evolution getting LDTP tests
years ago, just to see them not getting updated and in the end ignored,
due to lack of (wo)manpower.
CI system is changing situation a bit here - in case tests will not be
updated developers can quickly notice the situation (without mindlessly
discarding test results as "works for me") and reproduce them easily.

* Document how to download an image, and run manual UI tests
* Define manual automated tests for each of the components

"manual automated"? Is that "I manually start an automated test"? :)
Well, tests which use Gherkin/BDD approach contain instructions both
fitting for manual and automated tests (see [1]).

[1]
https://github.com/fedora-desktop-tests/evolution/blob/master/features/addressbook/file/create_contact.feature

--
Thanks,