Re: QA Team

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me> wrote:
The idea is to test everything wtih as much automation as possible while finding interaction bugs in the manual test. Now that we have a continuously integration

gnome-continuous is continuous *delivery*.  This is actually quite
important - you can download and run the result.

(If you count the smoketest as a deployment, then it's continuous
 deployment)

If a test fails, you really want the ability to download the *exact same*
binaries that the build server is testing so you can use gdb locally.  This
is something that was always irritating to me with rpm/dpkg using
"make check" and jhbuild buildbot.

Phase 1: * define the list of components that will be QA'd

This all sounds unnecessarily formal, plus...the list of components that will be
QA'd would equal the list of components we ship, I hope =)

Personally, I would start with trying to spread
https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/InstalledTests
both inside GNOME, to downstreams, and to other ecosystems.

Taking the tests we already had written and automating them,
running them *all of the time* has been a huge win.