Re: Porting GNOME to Wayland

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:32:51PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
Spring is in the air - things change, people are looking for things to
try and new goals. I propose that we set ourselves a new goal: port
GNOME to Wayland

Based on the lack of negative feedback, I've updated
https://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/WhatWeRelease with the following:

| Recommended components
|
| It is assumed and encouraged (but not required!) that distributions
| make use of the following technologies:
|  * Wayland
|  * systemd

The assumed and encouraged means that you might run into bugs we have
not noticed because we (most GNOME developers) do not test the other
code paths much. Obviously that is a slow gradual process for Wayland.
At the moment, no Wayland thing. In future you might have to file some
bugs. Plan is to revisit this at GNOME 3.10.

Please do not forget it also specifies "but not required".

On a personal note I highly encourage Linux distributions to use systemd
irrespective of any "not required".
--
Regards,
Olav