Re: Proposal: an improvement to our Git and tarballs infrastructure

Thanks for bringing this up.
No strong opinions, more like some side comments:

On Mon, 2013-04-22 at 12:08 +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
The real question is: are tarballs really useful in some way? JHBuild
and the new build.gnome.org based on OSTree don't require tarballs at
all, they both clone all the needed modules and do the build. I see
tarballs being useful for distribution's packagers but shouldn't
cgit's snapshots be enough for that? (this is a new feature I've
introduced yesterday at git.gnome.org, you can see it in action at
[1])

What am I supposed to spot / see? And where is the tarball file download
link that I'm looking for? :P

The next thing I would like to discuss is what the release team feels
as a possible improvement for git.gnome.org. Do we need something like
Gitlab / Gitorious? [2] - [3]

Which *functionality* gains are implied?
I simply don't know exactly what Gitlab / Gitorious offer that you might
see as good reasons to consider them.

Do we need a code review tool like Gerrit [4] or Review Board [5]?
(note that we currently use Owen's splinter on bugzilla for doing
code / patches reviews)

Splinter on bugzilla.gnome.org has been broken for ages, I always get
"Failed to retrieve attachment 123456" and gave up, though it was nice.

*If* we'd like to bikeshed, err, discuss about moving to a code review
tool, we should define criteria and check other project's evaluations
for the same problem first, e.g. MediaWiki's Gerrit use:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Gerrit_evaluation . LibreOffice and
Eclipse also use Gerrit when I checked a few months ago.
KDE (and Apache) use Review Board but I couldn't find any evaluations
(looks like the KDE Plasma team had started with it even earlier).
For GNOME's historical reasons against reviewboard, see
http://blog.fishsoup.net/2009/09/15/review-board-vs-git-bz/

andre

--
Andre Klapper  |  ak-47 gmx net