Re: Requiring systemd for the gnome-settings-daemon power plugin

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot gnome org> wrote:

> I think at one point the GNOME project will need to step up and explicitely states that GNOME is a Linux-only Desktop.
> I am a BSD user; don't get me wrong, if GNOME goes Linux-only then so be it. But the current situation is hard for us because it is unclear where all of this is going.
> When systemd was first mentionned on the lists, it was said it wouldn't be a hard requirement. Fair enough, we are "only" talking about the power plugin here but the way it is going systemd will soon be needed for more important features.
> I'm just wondering if it is still worth trying to maintain GNOME for !linux platforms (like I do on OpenBSD). Implementing some of what systemd provides is far from trivial for us.
>
> To summarize, it'd be nice to know whether there is still a chance to see GNOME running on BSD in a near future. If everything is going systemd, then the answer is clear, but for now I lack the informationit

Hey Antoine,

I think there's a good chance for GNOME running on BSD, thanks to
people like you who keep things working. I can imagine it feels like a
sysiphus job at times - I hope you get thank-you letters from
BSD/GNOME users every now and then...

Bastien is speaking as the gnome-settings-daemon maintainer, and I can
understand why he wants to get rid of the complicated maze of
talk-to-upower-or-to-consolekit-or-to-systemd. It is his decision to
make in the end, but there is certainly enough time between now and
3.8 to evaluate the best way to keep things working on BSD, no need to
throw in the towel now.

As for GNOME speaking up, the release team has produced this document:
https://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/WhatWeRelease in an attempt to
clarify our position.

Matthias