Re: Fallback mode is going away - what now ?

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
>
>> to be fair, I'd envision this as a completely separate session that
>> you need to install and select, similar to what Ubuntu does —
>> especially if we want to call it "GNOME Classic".
>
> I don't think a separate session will work very well for this - for
> one thing, setting this up will require a number of settings to be
> tweaked (e.g. the one for the minimize button), and alternative
> sessions don't have the right infrastructure for that. The session
> chooser on the login screen is not the best designed part of the login
> experience either. And finally, if Ubuntu calls their pristine GNOME3
> session 'GNOME Classic', what would we call this one, "GNOME Classic
> Plus" ?!

Ubuntu calls GNOME Shell session just "GNOME" for reference... GNOME
Classic is fallback mode.

Otherwise I agree - I don't think this should be a seperate session,
but a simple change in settings, a button or toggle somewhere in
settings to make gnome-shell a more traditional desktop.