Re: Fallback mode is going away - what now ?

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 14:27 +0100, Andre Klapper wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 08:17 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > So, what to do ? Thankfully, we have a pretty awesome extension
> > mechanism in gnome-shell (extensions.gnome.org), and there are a ton
> > of extensions out there which allow users to tweak gnome-shell in all
> > kinds of ways. This also includes extensions which bring back many of
> > the aforementioned 'classic' UX elements. The downsides of extensions
> > are that (a) there is no guarantee that they will work with a new
> > shell release - you often have to wait for your favourite extension to
> > be ported and (b) there's so many of them, which often do very similar
> > things - choice is always hard.
>
> Just throwing in questions on minimizing the problem of updates breaking
> gnome-shell extensions, obviously:
>
> Can we make testing beta versions (and porting extensions to the next
> major version of GNOME) more attractive / easier for extension authors?
> Have Shell maintainers published info on "Code changes which may affect
> extensions" in the past? Putting this into the release notes feels a bit
> too late.

That's part of the work that's been happening on GNOME OS, and on Boxes.

One should just be able to grab an image from gnome.org, start Boxes
with it, and do the changes to their extensions as development versions
are released.

(replace extensions with applications, or even core components, and you
can see why it's a very important part of a QA effort).