fallback mode

I'm writing to inform you that the release team discussed
https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointSeven/Features/DropOrFixFallbackMode
yesterday. We've come to the conclusion that we can't maintain
fallback mode in reasonable quality, and are better off dropping it.

We're now working on organizing this so that it does not create more
fallout than necessary. As part of this, I'm reaching out to our
distributors to see what parts they care about. We haven't worked out
a detailed plan for 3.8 tasks yet, but the feature page should give
you a good idea about what things will be part of the 3.8 plan:

- remove the 'forced fallback' ui in control-center

- unify 'gnome can't run' and 'failwhale' UX

- move background rendering entirely into gnome-shell; this is most
likely to cause some problems for other environments that reuse g-s-d
for background rendering. Splitting off the desktop-rendering
functionality from nautilus is a separate issue, and does not
necessarily have to happen for 3.8.

Please watch the feature page for more details, as we work them out,
and please contact us with your concerns. Lets work together and
minimize the pain of this transition.

Matthias, for the release team