Re: Using Bugzilla for freeze break requests?

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:44:32PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I think that, at the very least for GNOME 3.4 onwards, we should switch
> to using a keyword in bugzilla, and the release-team, docs team and i18n
> teams can monitor newly request breaks, through RSS feeds (the design
> team does that), and get the keywords cleared when the freeze break has
> a result.

The Bugzilla way of doing this is to use flags. A flag is either defined
for attachments _or_ (not and) bugs. This is possible on our currently
bugzilla; we just do not use them.

For flags you could have e.g.
code_freeze_break flag
string_freeze_break flag
ui_freeze_break flag
or perhaps just freeze_break (bit easier IMO)

Flags can have 3 things:
 ?   request it to be set
 -   request denied
 +   request approved

Then there are settings to control:
* who can request
* who can approve/deny
* who should be cc'ed on the request (release-team, etc)

Drawbacks:
* IMO UI is complicated and Bugzilla is slower than just email
* I think only the request gets CC'ed to release-team. None of the
  following comments will be (AFAIK.. could be wrong)
  that would be pretty annoying
* it is either + or -.. nothing about needing two approvals. Can be
  solved by using comments though (1st person says +1 in a comment;
  second sets the '+' on the flag).

Flags have a lot of options, so above is my idea about how it should be
used. Some of the stuff is IMO just confusing.
--
Regards,
Olav