Re: Synchronising release process dates with distro conferences?

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As everyone has noticed, there have been a few proposals for inclusion
> of functionality from Canonical people this week (Deja Dup, LightDM) -
> not coincidentally, UDS was this week.
>
> Would it make sense to align dates with major distribution conferences
> (or work with distros to do the inverse) in the future? FUDCon, DebConf
> & UDS come to mind as the major ones. I know, for example, that
> Canonical people find out whether they'll be spending time on a project
> in the run up to the next release during UDS, so submitting modules
> afterwards is natural in their release cycle.

No, doesn't make sense to me. At least not as written.

First of all, we want to move away from a technology-focused 'module
proposal' to an experience-focused 'feature proposal' approach. And
then, I don't think it works to have distributions cook up designs for
what they want and simply drop them ready-made at the proposal
deadline. Features need to be discussed upstream, over a longer period
of time, to work out all the interactions and figure out how things
fit into the GNOME desktop.