Re: glade3 -> glade renaming

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> Hi Tristan,
>
> We noticed the glade3 tarballs are now simply called glade. Is this
> going to stay this way?

Ummm, yes and no, if that's alright.

Basically we changed the name 'glade3' to 'glade' in the configure.ac
so that the install directory for shared files would be '$prefix/share/glade'
instead of '$prefix/share/glade3' etc...

This is basically so that glade for GTK+ 3.0 will be parallel installable
with glade for GTK+ 2.0... at the same time we changed the exec name
from 'glade-3' to 'glade' (for git master, aka glade 3.10).

> If yes, we need to fix various things (jhbuild modulesets, release team
> scripts, l10n.gnome.org config, etc.) and to notify packagers so they
> can track the right thing.

Right, so essentially what we should have is 'jhbuild glade3' to build
glade-3-8 branch (which has support for libglade conversions and support
for deprecated widgets and older toolkit versions etc), and 'jhbuild glade'
to build master (which has GTK+ >= 3.0 support only, and no libglade support).

They both exist, and will be released in parallel, glade-3-8 branch is basically
a migration path for projects still transitioning from libglade or older toolkit
versions and will eventually support all the widgets in GTK+ 2.24 (so, if your
old project can run with glade 3.8 and use no deprecated widgets, it's then
safe to transition to 3.0)... at least that's the plan/theory.

Let me know if this approach breaks anything infrastructural (i.e. glade-3-8
tarballs installed as 'glade3' module and >= master tarballs installed
as 'glade').

Cheers,
          -Tristan