2.31.5 & gtk3 release summary

Hello all,

There was already a good bunch of GTK+ 3 module for the previous
release, Matthias did post a summary on July 1st.

This release brings a new serie: brasero, devhelp, empathy, evince,
evolution, evolution-data-server, gconf-editor, gnome-bluetooth,
gnome-media, gnome-nettool, gnome-session, gtkhtml, gtk-vnc,
libunique, mutter, nautilus-sendto, sound-juicer, totem, vinagre,
yelp, zenity.

Some notes:

  Evolution & friends were already gtk3 ready in 2.31.4 but that was
  not enabled; mostly because it needs an unreleased libgweather/gtk3,
  for this release I decided to build them passing --without-weather,
  so the GTK+ 3 port can be tested.

  At least gucharmap is ready in the repository but didn't see a new
  release.

  The previous list had glade, vte and gnome-terminal; while those
  have updated their configure.ac files, they do not currently build
  with GTK+ 3. (for glade3 this is bug 594957, for vte see bug 612484.

  A few of those modules build libraries, that are used in modules
  external to the official suites, for example rhythmbox uses both
  libgnome-media and libbrasero-media, it would be nice to identify
  those and mail the authors.

A rough view of unported modules:

  Anjuta, it needs glade3 and vte, Johannes is following improvements
  closely.

  GNOME Games, some games are ported, some depends on clutter-gtk
  which doesn't exist yet for GTK+ 3; Emmanuele Bassi wrote: "the plan
  is to release clutter-gtk 1.0 depending on gtk3.0. whether this plan
  actually comes together depends on me finding a week of time for
  fixing clutter-gtk for 1.0, or people helping me" and "if anything
  goes wrong, I can do a clutter-gtk 0.12 depending on gtk+3, but I'd
  rather avoid that"

  Empathy is ported, but with geolocation support disabled because
  champlain depends on clutter-gtk (see above).

  Vino, I did a straight port of the preferences window to be a
  control center panel; at the same time Ryan Lortie also worked on it
  (bug 622544 has my patch, while Ryan work is in the "3" branch).

  GNOME System Monitor, it depends on libwnck which has no GTK+ 3
  version yet; it uses libwnck to get X resource usage and as a method
  to associate icons to processes. I have an ugly batch butchering the
  libwnck usage and it builds fine against gtkmm 2.90.

  Metacity, Thomas Thurman is back from his book, I don't know if
  there is already a clean patch but mutter has been ported, so it
  shouldn't be difficult.

  swfdec & swfdec-gnome, I don't know the status, for thumbnailing
  this wouldn't be much of a problem, but there may be people using
  swfdec as a browser plugin.

  Eye of Gnome, forgot about it during the release, but it's an active
  module, should probably just ping them about it.

  Ekiga, I didn't even try as they had a policy of working with really
  old GTK+ versions.

  Gcalctool, probably not much work, didn't ask.

  Then there are the pygtk modules, sabayon, alacarte, hamster,
  deskbar... they need specific work to be ported to pygi, unless the
  pygtk team finally decides to make an interim pygtk3 release.

  And the legacy desktop, panel, applets, etc.

Cheers,

        Frederic