Re: Communicating to users what GNOME 3.0 is

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:24 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
Hi Stormy,

Le mercredi 13 janvier 2010, à 10:28 -0700, Stormy Peters a écrit :
> I've heard quite a few concerns from very happy users that GNOME 3.0 is all
> about GNOME Shell and will force them to use GNOME Shell. For example, see
> this thread that a Friend of GNOME sent me:
> http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13782.

FWIW, I thought it was pretty clear, but it looks like it's still not:
gnome-panel & metacity will be available for use with GNOME 3.0 (they
probably wouldn't be part of 3.0 officially, I'd say, although we didn't
really discuss this), so people would still be able to use the old look
and feel for a while.

If that's true, it's probably a good thing to be saying publicly and to add to our FAQ for events.

[...]

> I think it would be beneficial if the release team and the marketing team
> started coming out with blog posts and articles about what GNOME 3.0 is. If
> people are willing to write those articles, I can help find publications
> willing to host them.

I definitely agree, and I was intending to write various blog posts on
this topic, but it looks like people need to kick me hard to get me to
write a blog post ;-)

Kick. ;-)

(I'm happy to help the marketing team come up with a nice message if
help is needed there)

Your blog posts would help. We could learn from them.

Stormy