Re: Communicating to users what GNOME 3.0 is

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 22:00 -0600, Paul Cutler wrote:
> On 01/13/2010 09:46 PM, Shane Fagan wrote:
> > Thanks Paul,
> > Ok my idea is "Debunking Gnome 3 myths"
> > Im very familiar with Gnome shell and zeitgeist(and the activity
> > journal) so on that end I can write up something good. The mallard
> > migration needs a bit of describing please. Does it make the docs look
> > nicer or do anything particularly different to regular old dockbook? The
> > tomboy online thing is a little bit old news ubuntu 9.10 had cloud sync
> > by default already. Other than the stuff you listed the only other
> > things that come to mind are deprecations clean ups, the use of
> > javascript and migrations to newer technologies by default(clutter,
> > cairo).
> >
> > Regards
> > Shane
> >

> The accessibility changes are big - and as it's a core component of
> GNOME (accessible to all) there's probably a lot more we could be doing
> around it.  (I'm not an expert on accessibility in any way, shape or form).
>
> The documentation stuff is pretty cool - we're migrating away from task
> based help (push x to use feature y) in a inflexible table of contents
> to re-writing help to be topic based help.  Empathy is our flagship for
> Mallard right now, as Empathy 2.28 is the first app to ship with topic
> based help in Mallard.  If you compare the two help files from 2.26 to
> 2.28 you'll notice a big change, or even just the Empathy 2.28 help vs.
> any other help document in GNOME.  I'm copying Shaun McCance too, I'm
> sure he'll have more to add about Mallard and it's benefits.
>
> I don't think the Tomboy thing is necessarily old news for two reasons -
> 1, we don't all use Ubuntu and 2, Snowy will be AGPL - just like
> identi.ca, where you can use their service (Tomboy) you can run your own
> Snowy instance if you choose to yourself (like status.net).
>
> Paul
On the tomboy thing I should explain why I say its old news. You dont
really need to be running ubuntu to do the exact same system they have.
Its simply a couchdb replicating itself to the ubuntu one server. It
doesnt need to use ubuntu one all you need to do is have it replicating
to a different computer and that isnt all that hard. I suppose maybe the
system for gnome 3 will be fairly easy to set up though so I suppose it
doesnt matter too much. Ill mention it anyway in my post.

Shane