Re: glib-networking module

On 08/27/2010 06:29 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:

>>> Is anything in GNOME 2.32 using the new proxy functionality in glib ?
>>
>> The SOCKS support is automatic if you're using GSocketClient, so various
>> things like gvfs-ftp and libsoup that used to return "Cannot connect to
>> host" for people who needed to use SOCKS should now just work.
>
> Nice ! But thats the part that is working without glib-networking.

No, the code that does the actual SOCKS communication is in glib, but
the code that decides whether to *automatically* do SOCKS is in
glib-networking, because that requires looking up the proxy settings in
gconf.

I guess an alternate possibility would be to leverage the gconf
gsettings backend instead... have a GProxyResolver implementation in
glib that would explicitly request the "gconf" implementation of
G_SETTINGS_BACKEND_EXTENSION_POINT_NAME, and use its own private
GSettings schema file for /system/proxy, and then decide whether or not
to do SOCKS based on that. (And then for GNOME 3.0 once
gnome-control-center has been ported to gsettings/dconf we could make it
less of a hack.)

> Does pulling glib-networking into 2.32 make more things transparently
> work, or does that require changes to libsoup and other modules ?

Besides proxy configuration lookup, the other big things libproxy (and
thus glib-networking) does are PAC and WPAD. (PAC is "run a javascript
file to determine the proxy for a given URI", WPAD is "search the
link-local network for a proxy server"). However, those are mostly only
used for configuring HTTP proxies, and libsoup can still just use
libproxy directly for that...

-- Dan