Re: GNOME 2.26 module inclusion discussion heats up

Le dimanche 11 janvier 2009 à 16:21 +0000, Sjoerd Simons a écrit :
> Sorry for being late. We'd like to add telepathy-farsight[0] as an external
> dependency for that for Empathy's voip support. Which itself depends on
> farsight2[1] and indirectly on libnice[2] Currently it uses
> telepathy-stream-engine
>
> Currently empathy uses telepathy-stream-engine, which uses farsight 1. Which is
> at this point basically unsupported and unmaintained.

Just to complete this, the advantages of this switch include:
- Farsight 2 can use more video codecs than Farisght 1. That means we'll
be able to use, for example, Theora as so have video conferencing
working out of the box (FS1 supports only H264 which is patented).
- telepathy-stream-engine has be renamed to maemo-stream-engine as it's
really a Maemo tablet specific component. Telepathy-farsight offers a
better control on the Gstreamer pipeline so Empathy would be able to
offer a GUI to configure audio/video devices, change them on the fly
during a call or make fancy video effects as Cheese does.
- As Sjoerd said, Farsight 1 is currently deprecated and unmaintained so
it's definitely the way to go.

	G.

--
Guillaume Desmottes <cass skynet be>