Re: gnome 2.27/2.29 schedule proposal

Le samedi 21 février 2009, à 18:29 +0100, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> Non-public Gnome 2.27/2.29 schedule proposal available at
> http://live.gnome.org/AndreKlapper/Sched1 .

Two weeks between 2.27.2 and 2.27.3? That sounds too short at the
beginning of a cycle. What about this change:
 May 27: 2.27.2
 June 17: 2.27.3
 June 29: 2.26.3
 Jul 15: 2.27.4 (or maybe even slip it and release on Friday, since
 people might need more time after guadec)
 Jul 29: 2.27.5
I kind of like the fact that people can break string & UI without
having to care about announcing them during GUADEC.

The 2.29 one is interesting. Looks fine, I like the variation for this
specific cycle.

> More important though is the TODO section and the additional targets
> linked from there.

Some comments:

 + eds dbus for 2.27.1? Isn't this optimistic?
 + zeitgeist release for 2.27.1? Do you think it's ready?
 + the libglade part could be a bit more aggressive
 + there's no applets in gnome-shell. So no porting :-)
 + it's unrealistic to break APIs in 2.29.1 all at once. We have to do
   that library by library, else it will be really painful for
   everybody. So better to list all libraries needing this, and try to
   fit each of them in the schedule.
 + 2.29.5 seems late for the a11y infrastructure. I'd do that for 2.29.2
   or .3.
 + what kind of regressions are we ready to accept for a11y?

We'd probably have more stuff to insert (eg: all libraries should
provide the relevant gobject introspection data), but well, that's a
good start.

For unmaintained modules, I propose we announce them, and if there's no
volunteer, someone from the release team should become interim
maintainer (ie review patches and roll tarballs).