Re: NetworkManager, nm-applet, and network-admin

Le samedi 14 février 2009, à 22:34 +0100, Frederic Peters a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> Shaun pointed out on #gnome-hackers there were some confusion around
> nm-applet, NetworkManager and its relation to network-admin (from
> gnome-system-tools).
>
> network-manager-applet looks like it was first approved[1], but later
> on, as hinted on live.gnome.org[2], it has been rejected, as there
> were no release.
>
>  [1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2007-January/msg00007.html
>  [2] http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/Desktop
>
> Could this be clarified ?

Well. Not sure what can be clarified :-) nm-applet is not part of the
desktop and you found out how. The main issue here is that nm-applet
doesn't follow the GNOME development cycle.

> NetworkManager 0.7 could go in the blessed
> external dependencies, and network-manager-applet in the desktop
> suite.

I'm fine with NM being a blessed dependency. But for nm-applet, I don't
think we can change anything until there are regular tarballs.

> Also, we could ask Carlos Garnacho to disable network-admin by default
> in gnome-system-tools, as it doesn't seem to have any purpose when NM
> is running.
>
> How does that sound?

Hrm. Well, that's up to the distro in the end, so I wouldn't change
anything there.

> Cheers,
>
>         Frederic
>
> [and could we host a copy of libnl on ftp.gnome.org? it seems the
>  canonical download location is often down]

Better to ask the NM people to host it somewhere, I'd say. Or to contact
the libnl author.