Re: GNOME 3.0 Schedule draft; Streamlining of the Platform.

Le lundi 06 avril 2009 à 17:10 +0300, Stefan Kost a écrit :
> Andre Klapper schrieb:
> > Ahoj,
> >
> > a draft for the GNOME 2.27 & 2.29 schedule is now available at
> >
> >         http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentyseven .
> >
> > The schedule also includes a plan to clean up the platform by getting
> > rid of deprecated modules.
> > Maintainers can see the GNOME 3 readiness of their modules on Frederic's
> > awesome status page at http://www.gnome.org/~fpeters/299.html .
> > Comments & discussion welcome.
> >
> I woner what we will do with gnome-canvas? I don't think we should
> deprecate it without an official alternative and some migration
> support/guide.

If nothing uses it anymore in the official gnome modules (btw, did
something used it?), deprecate it. It is almost unmaintained, AFAIK. Of
course, there is no official alternatives, but I don't think there will
be one in a foreseeable future. Just defining what it should do will be
quite difficult since there seems to be so many divergent opinions among
the community. And even if somebody is able to write a multipurpose
canvas, it might not fulfill everybody's needs. For my use case, I
tested libccc and goocanvas, and in the end it took me less time to
write a new widget from scratch with all the features I need and just
these.

Best regards,
Jean