Re: Session Management in 2.24

Ysgrifennodd Lucas Rocha:
> Vincent Untz and I will be working on making the new code shine for 2.24.

Thanks for all the work you're doing on this.

> However, some simple changes are necessary on some basic
> components that run during the session such as gnome-settings-daemon,
> gnome-panel, nautilus, metacity, gnome-keyring, etc. I have most of
> the patches ready and I'll be filing bugs for each component soon

Havoc, and apparently Sven last GUADEC, were suggesting that we remove
the requirement for the WM to remember windows, since there's really no
good way of doing it, and instead give the responsibility to the
applications, who have more of an idea what they're supposed to be
doing.  In practice I imagine this would mean the toolkit.  What do you
think of this as a way forward?

<http://blogs.gnome.org/metacity/2008/03/08/session-management/>

There's a related issue that we're (I'm) in the middle of an
experimental simplification of the way session files are stored, so I
don't know how that's going to interact with your patch.

Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman
At Window on Pit