Re: Moving Gtk2-Perl to GNOME infrastructure

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 01:12 +0100, Olav Vitters wrote:

> > The repository name "gnome-perl" seems natural, especially since that's
> > the name of our Bugzilla component.  On the other hand, there was
> > previously a CVS repository with the same name wrapping the GNOME 1.x
> > libraries.  Is that a problem?  If so, we could use "gnome2-perl".
>
> I'd rather see a repository for the Glib binding, etc. However, not sure
> of the naming. Suggestions? (release-team / you)

Why do you prefer separate repositories?

We have some files that don't belong to any single binding: general
documentation that applies to every binding (mainly for developers),
small helper programs that are useful to every binding, and a tutorial
for users that is, at least in principal, about every binding.  How
would those be handled in the scheme you suggest?

> Would this be a problem for e.g. CPAN? Or would you use other tarball
> names for this? Meaning: one name on CPAN, another for ftp.gnome.org?

CPAN doesn't care about the tarball names: it only looks at their
content.  Using the namespace as the tarball name is the default, and
that's why we use it.  If I can convince the other guys working on the
bindings, I think switching to a different naming scheme is no problem.

> I'd prefer as release-team dude to have everything stay the same. This
> to avoid hacks in the scripts. Also wonder a bit about the versioning.
> E.g. Glib 1.1.x = unstable, 1.2.x = stable would be very nice.

I think we would like to continue using version numbers that are just
that: numbers.  We do have a scheme for denoting stability though: w.xyz
is stable iff y is even.

> > Our page on SourceForge uses PHP -- would it be possible to get a
> > project page with PHP enabled?
>
> Ehr, we rather discourage that. Maybe if you cannot hack around it in
> any way.. but no promises.

We don't use PHP for much: to include a common header and footer on
every page without repeating ourselves in the code, and to generate a
news page from an RSS stream.  The former could also be achieved with
server-side includes or similar -- do you support something like this?
And I'm not sure we really need the latter.

--
Bye,
-Torsten