Re: Recommended/minimum versions for some fd.o external deps -- updates

On Jan 31, 2008 2:26 PM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:

> > also, what about iso-codes? jhbuild seems to be using 0.53, but latest
> > is 1.8. Is there any reason to use such an old version
>
> The idea of depending on old versions of external dependencies is to
> ensure that GNOME builds on common versions of distros, which might not
> have the newer versions.
>
> As soon as we know that a newer version of a dependency is available on
> fairly recent versions of all the common distros, that would be a time
> to increase it's version in our list so we get testing with that new
> common version. That's the question that needs to be answered about all
> these versions.
>
> It's also desirable to test newer versions, but we don't want everyone
> to be testing/building with a system that is unlike the real world, so
> that's a difficult thing to do.

On this topic, I think it would be cool to have a variation of the
jhbuild moduleset that builds against the minimal external deps
instead of the recommended ones. I admit that I'm a bit behind the
latest advances in jhbuild technology, so ignore me if this already
exists.

Matthias