Re: GDM decision making.

ti., 19.08.2008 kl. 21.53 -0400, skrev Matthias Clasen:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
>
> > I'm quite undecided, for me it currently boils down to the theoretical
> > question "If Red Hat had an RHEL release in a few weeks, would they use
> > the new gdm for it or not?" If yes, I'd take it for GNOME 2.24 too.
>
> I don't think thats a very productive question to ask in this context...
>
> > I'm leaning towards the conservative side because I feel not much has
> > changed between 2.22 and 2.24. I could be wrong, though.
>
> As I've already said on irc, if we don't get this discussion beyond
> "look, regression! not using it...", we'll be in the same situation
> again next time.

I find myself in agreement with Matthias here. What are the important
features that we have regressions for?

- Themes

I always found themes for the display manager a bit over the top. It's a
screen you want out of the way as fast as possible in most cases, no?

- Documentation

The only thing I can think of that might need this is A11Y, but that
could just as well be mentioned during install or in the release notes /
installation guide. That is if A11Y support is there and working.

- Configuration editor

Never used it personally for other purposes than testing it :-)

- XDMCP

Never used this in GDM either.

Other things?

The only problem I have seen with the new GDM so far from testing it in
rawhide since it got in there is avery recent breakage that made the
keyboard layout menu empty, but I think that's broken on a lower level
and is more of an issue with rawhide.

Cheers
Kjartan